Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 45

Thread: I have a statistics test tonight

  1. #11
    Inactive Member tomasmk2's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 12th, 2001
    Posts
    615
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Uhhh...back to you, Al.

    I hear ya!

  2. #12
    HB Forum Owner Smackie Chan's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 31st, 2001
    Posts
    740
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size=2 face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><table border="0" width="90%" bgcolor="#333333" cellspacing="1" cellpadding="0"><tr><td width="100%"><table border="0" width="100%" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="2" bgcolor="#FF9900"><tr><td width="100%" bgcolor="#DDDDDD"><font size=2 face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by tomasmk2:
    Uhhh...back to you, Al.

    I hear ya!
    </font></td></tr></table></td></tr></table></BLOCKQUOTE>

    Hey, you know I'm just jerkin' your chain. After all, I can't POSSIBLY think I'm better than y'all, since I have no ego. Just ask index.

  3. #13
    Inactive Member tomasmk2's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 12th, 2001
    Posts
    615
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    i know, i'm just in really good mood tonight.

  4. #14
    Inactive Member Roger_the_Shrubber's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 31st, 2001
    Posts
    69
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Stats? Cool.

    Would you mind explaining to pp that the max sample number of any n to get the +/- 3% is 1500?

    I thank you.

  5. #15
    Inactive Member mothomus's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 16th, 2002
    Posts
    76
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    how's about a poisson distribution of tard trolls relative the mean

  6. #16
    Inactive Member Adept's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 13th, 2001
    Posts
    610
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size=2 face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><table border="0" width="90%" bgcolor="#333333" cellspacing="1" cellpadding="0"><tr><td width="100%"><table border="0" width="100%" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="2" bgcolor="#FF9900"><tr><td width="100%" bgcolor="#DDDDDD"><font size=2 face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Smackie Chan:
    Finding probabilities using the normal distribution, using the central limit theorem, approximating a binomial distribution using the normal distribution, computing confidence intervals, finding z and t scores, computing minimum sample sizes...that kinda stuff.</font></td></tr></table></td></tr></table></BLOCKQUOTE>

    Fun shit. Is that all with one right hand side variable?

    I gather that it would have to be or you would be more concerned with F-statistics than t values.

  7. #17
    Inactive Member Dr Bob's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 20th, 2001
    Posts
    92
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    OK, Smackie, at what sample size would you feel confident invoking the Central Limit Theorem?


    And, Adept, simply having more than than one explanatory variable doesn't necessarily mean you run to the shelter of the F-stat V the t-stat, it is inherently a function of the hypothesis you are in the process of testing.


    For example, I may want to understand the impact of taxation of GNP, but I have to include other right hand side variables to avoid excluded variable bias....but my focus will be on the coefficient and t-stat for my taxation variable, where I won't care as much about an F-stat or the R-squared and shit.


    Edit: AND, the F and t-tests would basically converge with only one right hand side variable....(F is actually t squared with one RHS)...

    <font color="#330033" size="1">[ March 21, 2002 11:51 AM: Message edited by: Dr Bob ]</font>

  8. #18
    HB Forum Owner Smackie Chan's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 31st, 2001
    Posts
    740
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size=2 face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><table border="0" width="90%" bgcolor="#333333" cellspacing="1" cellpadding="0"><tr><td width="100%"><table border="0" width="100%" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="2" bgcolor="#FF9900"><tr><td width="100%" bgcolor="#DDDDDD"><font size=2 face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Roger_the_Shrubber:
    Stats? Cool.

    Would you mind explaining to pp that the max sample number of any n to get the +/- 3% is 1500?
    </font></td></tr></table></td></tr></table></BLOCKQUOTE>

    I think you mean the minimum sample required to achieve a confidence level that is within +/- 3%, since there is no maximum (the larger the sample, the nearer you approach the actual proportion). You need to provide more information, however, such as the confidence level in which you're interested (typically 90%, 95%, or 99%) and the standard deviation, since the minimum sample (n) = [(the proper z score x the standard deviation)/the margin of error]squared. The z score is determined by the confidence level, so until you provide the needed data, I can't show pp a damn thing!

  9. #19
    Inactive Member Adept's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 13th, 2001
    Posts
    610
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Smackie - whats the test on?

  10. #20
    HB Forum Owner Smackie Chan's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 31st, 2001
    Posts
    740
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size=2 face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><table border="0" width="90%" bgcolor="#333333" cellspacing="1" cellpadding="0"><tr><td width="100%"><table border="0" width="100%" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="2" bgcolor="#FF9900"><tr><td width="100%" bgcolor="#DDDDDD"><font size=2 face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Adept:

    Smackie - whats the test on?
    </font></td></tr></table></td></tr></table></BLOCKQUOTE>

    Finding probabilities using the normal distribution, using the central limit theorem, approximating a binomial distribution using the normal distribution, computing confidence intervals, finding z and t scores, computing minimum sample sizes...that kinda stuff.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •